7.09.2012

RECIPE: CEVICHE DE CAMARON | SHRIMP CEVICHE

I was born in the Pacific coast in Mexico, only fifteen minutes from the beach! I moved to Texas when I was only eight years old and specially moving to North East Texas I do not only miss the beach but I miss the sea food. I don't care what they say! shrimp or fish from a chain supermarket has nothing on fresh out the water sea food. This will be my first recipe blog post, but lets all remember that we all cook dishes differently! Your moms enchiladas differ from my moms enchiladas. This is just "How I" make shrimp ceviche. Carlos was born and lived in Mexico until he was seventeen years old but he was in the middle of the Mexico map, not a beach in sight not a fish or shrimp near. When I first made my shrimp ceviche he was hooked and that's how we came to have our famous "Shrimp Ceviche and Beer Nights"
So... Let's get cooking!

Ingredients:
4 lbs of raw medium-small tiger shrimp, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. chunks
2  tomatoes, diced
1/2 red onion, finely chopped
2 cucumbers, peeled or not, seed removed, and diced
3 jalapeno peppers, 2 of the 3 ribs and seeds removed and diced. Dice the third with ribs and seeds.
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped                                                      the juice of 15-20 limes, for the shrimp
Salt and pepper to taste

Fried tortilla chips or tostadas
Salsa Valentina (Optional)
Directions:
Once you (or your hubby) have peeled and diced the shrimp place the shrimp in a large mixing bowl and pour the lime juice and make sure the shrimp is completely covered with the lime juice. Cover and place in the fridge for at least four hours (some people only do it for two but hey better safe than sorry) The acid from the limes will "cook" the shrimp so you want to make sure it is fully cooked. (sometimes I leave it overnight) After you have made sure that the shrimp won't make you sick, you simply add the ingredients listed above and mix (you can also add diced avocado) and there you go simply serve and add a hint of Salsa Valentina if you want it to be a bit more spicy.

*For home made tortilla chips just cut corn tortillas into four pieces 
and fry in hot oil until crispy.



Enjoy!


 XO,